The Hoyt has an abundance of computer terminals for public use, 30 to be exact! Along with the public computer terminals the library offers a fast public access WiFi connection.
How to Access the Public Computer Terminals:
1. Using your valid library card, simply follow the blue prompt on the computer screen and type in your library card barcode with no spaces between numbers.
2. Read the library internet access policy found on the computer when you first log in.If you agree, click accept, if not click otherwise.
3. You are now logged into the public terminal for 60 minutes.
How to Connect to the WiFi:
1. Select Hoyt Wi-fi
2. Go to your internet browser.
3. It will then ask for a password, be sure to ask a librarian for this password.
4. You are now connected to our lightning fast Pen-tele Data Internet service!
Hoyt Internet Policy:
The Hoyt library is committed to assuring public access to information and supporting continued learning for its patrons. Providing patrons with access to the Internet allows the library to greatly expand its role as an information provider. Before using the Internet at the Hoyt Library, however, you should be aware of the following:
- Not all sources of the Internet provide information that is accurate, complete, current, legal or philosophically acceptable to all patrons. Patrons must evaluate the validity and/or appropriateness of information.
- Parents and guardians are the best and final judges of what is appropriate for their children and are response for their children’s Internet usage. Parents are advices to supervise their children’s Internet sessions.
- Patrons under the age of 18 must use the computers in the Children’s or Young Adult Department.
- The Hoyt Library network and computers may not support certain types available o the Internet, such as sound or moving images, IRC, or tele-net.
- The Hoyt Library expressly prohibits any use of library computers for illegal activities, or to access material that contains or makes reference to explicitly sexual materials as defined in 18 Pa. C.S. 5093, is obscene, contains child pornography, or is harmful to minors.
- Altering Hoyt Library computer settings or other activities which disrupt the library or its network are prohibited, and may cause a patron’s privileges to be revoked.
- All users residing in LuzerneCounty area required to have a valid Luzerne County Library System Card. Those living outside LuzerneCounty have to provide a picture ID.
- Files may be saved on a diskette, CD or a flash drive. All must be scanned for virus’ first.
- There is a 1 hour time limit for computer use each day. Computers are shut down 30 minutes before closing. No exceptions.
- Only two users may gather at a particular computer.
- The cost of printouts is 25 cents per page for black and white.
- Users are not permitted to use the Hoyt Library computers to play games, participate in online gambling, access chat rooms, instant messaging. Patrons that have abused the above will be given a first time warning. A second offence will result in loss of computer privileges.
- Each computer is equipped with filtering software in accordance with the Children’s Internet Protection Act (CIPA). This software denies access to certain websites that may be deemed inappropriate for children. The filter may occasionally bock legitimate suites, and can be disabled upon request.
Users may NOT:
- Treat the Hoyt Library Equipment in a rough or abusive manner.
- Attempt to reboot the computers.
- Use the terminal to gain unauthorized access to any other network or computer system.
- Make any attempt to alter software configurations or download/install software.
- Invade the privacy of others.
- Engage in any activity that is harassing or defamatory.
- Violate copyright laws or licensing agreements.
- Violate local, state, or federal laws and regulations.
Failure to use the Internet computers appropriately and responsibly may result in revocation of internet use privileges and/or criminal prosecution.
This policy complies with Act 197.
The Hoyt Library reserves the right to modify this policy at any time.
WiFi users must adhere to the appropriate Hoyt policies, not engage in any illegal online activity and not open/access any material that consists or makes reference to any explicit sexual materials as defined in 18 Pa. c.S. 5903, as obscene, or that contains child pornography, or is harmful to minors.